Monday 28 May 2007

What Price Boredom

I woke up this morning to the sounds of Barbie and the Red Power Ranger arguing fiercely and had that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that I am sure every Mum has experienced... How am I going to entertain my children today? An empty Monday stretched before me and rather than be cooped up in the house all day with the offspring I started racking my brain for something to do that would satisfy all of us. The usuals flitted through my brain but I decided on the rash course of asking E what she wanted to do! As the words came out of my mouth I realised my folly, but to my surprise she actually had a legitimate suggestion - the local indoor play centre. Great idea. Haven't been for ages. Can have a cup of tea and feel like a good mum at the same time.
All went according to plan and I even had the added joy of being able to read my book as the kids were so engrossed and old enough not to need me. Woo Hoo! Then as I was driving home 2 1/2 hours later I realised that there must be a hole in my wallet as all my money seemed to have disappeared. On reflection I realised that my morning outing had cost me a small fortune! Entry for 2 kids $16.00 Tea $3.50 2x pop tops $8.00 2x smartie cookie $7.80 Another tea $3.50 It had cost me $40 for our little outing!!
Now I remember why I had stopped going. Compare this to last week when we visited Scienceworks for the grand total of $0.00. The kids get in free, as do I being a teacher, and we took our own snacks. Now that is a worthwhile outing and if you're lucky the kids will catch some science germs while you're there.
I'm going to start a list of cheap and cheerful entertainment starting with Scienceworks and if anyone can add to this list it would be much appreciated.
Now what on earth am I going to do with them tomorrow.....






Scienceworks www.scienceworks.museum.vic.gov.au

C.E.R.E.S.
www.ceres.org.au
Kensington Community Playground - 'The Venny'
Melbourne Museum
Melb Zoo (If you have a membership!)
www.zoo.org.au
Collingwood Children's Farm - small entry fee
www.farm.org.au


The Zoo -


No comments: