Monday 6 February 2012

Fabulous Yarraville

I can not tell you how much I love my town!  Yarraville makes me proud to be a trader and a resident and I would not live any where else if I had all the money in the world.  I'll admit that there are some negatives to living in Melbourne's inner west - the trucks, the car pollution, the lack of leafy greenness, the tendency towards criminal activity BUT..... what Yarraville also has is an amazing sense of community, a creative heart and a bohemian attitude of 'be and let be' which is refreshing and relaxing.  You don't just say Hi to the shopkeepers of Yarraville, you know their name, their kid's names and probably where they live.  It's just that kind of place.  I have friends in Yarraville ranging from their early 20's to 70 years of age and it makes my heart happy.


At a Traders Meeting a couple of months ago our local Councillor talked to us about the idea they had for developing a Pop-Up Park in the Village - we were all intrigued and keen to give it a go so before we knew it it was underway and last week it was installed to the great excitement of everyone involved.  It is the first of it's kind here in Melbourne and it is an absolute joy...
(note - pop-up park = closing off part of Ballarat St to create a pedestrian only park, fake grass, picnic tables and all)


 Early morning story book reading by the girls from The Younger Sun Bookshop


From the time I arrive at 8.45 there are Mums resting in deckchairs while they sip their take-away coffees and their kids play on the grass, by the late afternoon there are people of all descriptions lolling on the grass, sharing a champagne and a chat, and on Saturday night we wondered down to see a movie and the place was buzzing - it was 30degrees at 9pm and there were large groups of people with eskies enjoying a few drinks.  What I found amazing was that at midnight when we left everyone was still there, still drinking, but still very mellow and they were even cleaning up after themselves!  Fabulous.  I have never been more proud of my town. 


The Pop-Up Park will be in place until the end of April and hopefully if it continues in such a positive manner it will be back for an extended period later in the year.  Drop in and visit - it's ace!

2 comments:

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

that looks like so much fun, i love yarraville and when i used to work in footscray i was always that way....and occasionally i make my way to the sun theatre just because it really makes going to the movies that little bit more special xx

Susie said...

How fabulous - can't wait to visit.