Tuesday 8 November 2011

Sally Boyden

When ever I watch Rockwiz I am reminded of the first album I ever bought - The Littlest Australian (1976) - perhaps not the coolest album but I absolutely adored it.  It opened up and had pictures of Sally that I can still remember clearly to this day.  It's track listing included such gems as 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing' and 'Tan Shoes & Pink Shoelaces'.   At the age of 8 I thought Sally Boyden, at 10, was everything I aspired to be.....
Here's a peak at Sally on Young Talent Time in 1975.  (aged 9)


At 45 Sally is still writing and performing and although we may not have heard much from her that does not mean she hasn't been busy - .  
 After leaving Y.T.T. in 1976, Sally acted in a number of American productions including ‘Lassie’, ‘Barnaby and Me’ and ‘The Waltons’, as well as the Australian series 'Come Midnight Monday'.
She then moved to London to work as a songwriter for EMI, writing songs for Leo Sayer, David Cassidy and Shakin' Stevens and  has sung backing vocals for Duran Duran.
She has held long-standing residencies at the esteemed London music venues, Twelve Bar Club, Ground Floor, Acoustic CafĂ© and South Bar, showcasing Sally’s band ‘The Candy Bombers’.
Sally has joined Duran Duran on stage at Wembley, Earls Court and in Boston and has recorded vocals for Duran Duran’s ‘Pop Trash’, ‘Astronaut’, ‘Massacre on the Red Carpet’, and the latest album ‘All You Need is Now’. Sally’s vocals can also be heard on the Dandy Warhols’ album ‘Welcome to the Monkey House’, and the Stephen Duffy, Nick Rhodes project, ‘The Devils’.

Currently, due to overwhelming response from her recent appearances on the ‘Young Talent Time’ reunion shows Sally has released an album of her own songs, ‘Keepsake - Chapter 1’
 Not bad for a child star who looked at one point like she might be headed down the wrong path.  Best I drag out the record player and grab my hairbrush....

1 comment:

Silver Strands said...

Glad to know about her! I grew up with "I'd like to teach the world to sing" :)