Wednesday 9 September 2009

A Plethora of Great Fiction



I'm having such wonderful luck with the Young Adult Fiction I've been reading lately.
After 'Beatle Meets Destiny' a couple of friends lent me some that they had just read and we all had a big swap fest. They have all been very different but all fantastic. The first one Krissa lent me was 'Raw Blue' by Kirsty Egar, a story of a girl living on the N.S.W. coast and using her love of surfing to help her deal with the events of her past. The next book from Eliza was a book I had been looking forward to reading - 'Love Aubrey' by Suzanne LaFleur.

Something heartbreaking has happened. Eleven year old Aubrey is on her own. She's determined to hide away and take care of herself, because facing the truth is too much bear. But with the love of her Grandmother, and the letters she writes, can Aubrey begin to see thateven though she's lost everything - all is not lost?

It was a beautiful story and had me crying at inappropriate times - must remember not to read weepies at the cafe!
The book I have just finished is 'If I Stay' by Gayle Forman and I absolutely loved it. I now want to go and buy it so I will always have it in my bookshelf. That is the worst thing about sharing books, I can never bear to give them back if they are as good as this one.
.
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

2 comments:

kate.o.d said...

oh dear the tearjerkers in public! i know this too well. just today, while at work, reading the latest glenda millard book (in the "tishkin silk" series) and i was a wreck! both "love aubrey" and "if i stay" are fab, aren't they?

Lizeylou said...

Think "If I stay" will have to be my next purchase!