Tuesday 23 October 2012

Surfer Boy's Big Day



My gorgeous man celebrated his birthday yesterday, very low key although he did take the day off work to spend with the kids.  I'm not sure they really appreciated that it was his day - in fact they probably promptly forgot after I initially reminded them in the morning.

We had decided to keep the presents very low key too.  Surfer boy subscribes to the theory that the house is our present for Christmas and birthdays for the next decade or two.  I had the best of intentions but then I stumbled, literally, across this lovely, cast iron lady and I knew she had to come home with us.



Somewhere along the line someone in Surfer Boy's family (his grandfather I think) had something to do with the original installation of the famous Skipping Girl sign and as we needed a door stop I felt she was just perfect.  I will find out the proper story and for those of you not from Victoria... here is the real Skipping Girl, an icon of the Melbourne skyline.



Skipping Girl Sign or Skipping Girl Vinegar Sign, colloquially known as Little Audrey, was the first animated neon sign in Australia. She has had a checkered history but has recently been restored and has been listed by the  National Trust.  The power to the sign is currently being paid by AGL power company to ensure she skips for many years to come.



To finish off the day we had S.B's best mate and his gorgeous wife over for dinner and they presented the birthday boy with his own brand of beer....


He was thrilled and I imagine that the now empty bottles will be displayed somewhere prominent  for a long, long time to come
Happy Birthday Surfer Boy! xoxo

No comments: