Tuesday 1 November 2011

One Person's Trash....

About a year ago we spotted a great unit on the side of the road during Point Lonsdale's hard rubbish collection.  We were walking, so after a little convincing Surfer Boy drove back with the ute and picked it up.  We have no idea what to do with it and although S.B. keeps trying to get rid of it, I keep hanging on to it.  I love it even though I am yet to think of a practical use for it.  We never had any idea what it was either as it opens from the top, a little like a hutch.  One day when my dad was over I thought to ask him and wouldn't you know it, he knew exactly what it was.  Apparently it is a pioneer's cot.  They were enclosed and up on legs to keep snakes etc away from the baby.
A little google searching and sure enough the only other one I could find is housed in the Pioneer Women's Museum in Queensland.  Looks like it wasn't such a bad pick up after all!!  

This is the one in the museum - very similar to ours although ours opens at the top as well.

4 comments:

kate.o.d said...

we had something very similar when my bro was born, just called it the "meat-safe cot". wonder if my folks still have it??? (though they DO live close to pt londsdale so perhaps you now have ours!

kate.o.d said...

what ho! it's still mine. hooray. will be keeping my little hands on this one.

Lizeylou said...

You could always have another baby!!
NO you say ... maybe settle for putting your pretty treasures in it!

Or feel free to give it to me - I would LOVE to have this at my house!!

Tarrysaser said...

You spent the first nine months of your life in one of these meat-safe cots! Bijou also used it for her last litter of puppies! (not simultaneously!)